Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Concrete, Herbs, Bloomers, and a Blacksmith Shop

Today was a busy day for both of us. We traveled to Macon, Missouri and purchased some “Euco Diamond Hard” Concrete Sealer for the inside and outside pads of the Barn/Cottage. Upon return, we cleaned the concrete, and then applied the sealer first with a sprayer, then brushed and rolled it out. Mr. W handled most of this task while I supervised, and also cleaned out my herb garden.

The herbs were being taken over by mint (tip: never plant mint in anything but a container). Lots of cleaning out was done, then I replaced the rocks and lights. I also planted some orange-scented thyme. So now I have: Sage, Oregano, Lemon Balm, Catnip, Chives and the new Thyme. I plan to add some annuals such as Rosemary, and also some more Pineapple Sage. This herb garden has been here for about 20 years. Some of the older plants have died out, and I do need to replace some.

Here’s the before, with rampant mint:

herb_before

Here’s the after, and some potted hen and chicks, and mint in container added:

herb_after

Ahhh, better! Not perfect, but much better. Here’s an interesting tidbit of history about this area of our old house (where the herb garden now is). Many years ago the previous occupants had the brilliant idea to remove several feet of this section of the house to…. make a chicken coop. Can you believe it?

Here is a little collage of a few things that are blooming here now ~
clockwise from top left: Chives (with wasp), Malva (mini hollyhock), White Columbine, Giant Allium.

Collages3

Finally, I just took a trip out to the Blacksmith’s Shop for a quick photo tour.

The sign on entrance to the shop (Mr. W has more signage, some of which are not so politically correct):

BSsign

Anvil – hammer and “Bick Iron”  --- these two items (NOT the anvil) were made by Mr. W:

anvil

Finally, a Treadle Hammer made with recycled materials, completely manufactured by Mr. W. I am told this piece of machinery also makes a killer beer can smasher:

treadle_hammer

Now, off to do evening chores, and cook supper…. and collapse! Hope your week is going great!

sig3

6 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I have to slow down when I read. I thought Mr W had bought you a diamond!
That camera takes some great pictures too.
Nice to see the shop pictures. Now we can compare anvils!
I have starated a blog for Osage Bluff Blacksmith shop. BT says no words, just pictures. Check it out I put all the BAM pics in a slide show and posted it there.

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

Just love it here at Flat Creek Farm! My husband really enjoyed your site, too! We raise Arabian Horses, but I dream of having a donkey! Just need to convince J we need one!
Thanks for stopping by My Front Porch. I look forward to getting to know you!
God Bless, Misha

thecrazysheeplady said...

I just post a picture of my out of control mint garden. Your herbs look great. Am I to understand that the chickens were right there? Right at the house?

Flat Creek Farm said...

thecrazysheeplady: Apparently, the previous owners hacked off a portion of the house, and then moved that portion to another location in the yard for the chickens. It would be nice, at least, if the chicken coop were still standing... but it's not!

Misha: I'll help persuade your husband that you need a donkey also if you like :)

Flat Creek Farm said...

Patti: WE are both enjoying BOTH of your blogs tremendously. PW asks me EVERY day if PT or BT (the amBEERdextrous one) have updated their blogs!!

Karen said...

Loved the pics of your herb garden. Thanks for posting. I planted mints (catmint and peppermint) and know that soon they will be taking over our yard! Karen

Blog Widget by LinkWithin