Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thursday Walkabout: Sunshiny Woods

We have been blessed with a little sunshine this week, which made for a nice couple of walks in the woods.

Frozen waterfall, critter home, another icy waterfall, sunshine through the trees, woodsy hillside, frozen “crick”, sunny cedar grove.

2-4-10 Mosaic_Woods2

The most exciting event this week on our Walkabout was sneaking up on a group of wild turkeys. Of course, with my two sidekicks (Chloe & Banjo dogs), it’s a little hard to sneak up on anything. Here’s one of the turkeys in flight.

turkey_flight2

******************
Mini-Journal update of random stuff 1-28 thru 2-3-10:

Thursday- Other than work, I don’t recall? lol

Friday – I returned from work to find a message requesting use of one of my Barn Quilt photos for a soon-to-be published book on the topic. I was happy to cooperate! The author has a nice blog following the trail of barn quilts. Follow this link to learn more about "Barn Quilts and the American Quilt Trail"

Weekend – Mr. W brought up a load of wood. The Fiddler suffered with strep and a cold. Mr. W & I did some cleaning in the garage. I can actually park in it now! We also had our first successful coffee bean roast.

Tuesday – Out the door and headed to work, I heard the first Spring call of a Cardinal! What a great way to start the day. And on Groundhog Day, no less. I’m going with the Cardinal’s prediction :)

Wednesday – Enjoyed the great outdoors as much as possible. Snow and colder temps in the forecast!

Weather for the past week: We dodged a bullet of more winter weather, missing the snow that many others around us received. The temps stayed mostly in the 30’s during the day, with a little bit of 40’s.
*********************

Hope everyone is having a great week! 

Till next time..
sig3

24 comments:

Sandra said...

The walkabout is a good idea. I should give it a try. I caught a whole flock of wild turkeys taking flight last year out of a neighboring corn field. I put it on my 'simple things' post. They are amazing.

Jackie said...

How neat to be included in a book about barn quilts. So glad the sun was shining for you for a little while. I've been hearing a little more singing outside...wonder if it's cardinals singing at my house too? Hope you all are staying well and enjoying that coffee.

Have a great weekend.

Jackie

Dandy said...

Those frozen waterfall shots are amazing!

What a great shot of that turkey!

Jackie said...

And now you're a GRIT blogger too...Congratulations!

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

I so love your walkabout posts! I get so tickled when I run into wild turkeys. It's not very often. Lovely photos as usual! So excited about your successful coffee roast!

Anonymous said...

I love your collage! I really enjoy seeing woodsy photos. You get a whole different perspective in the winter.

elvira pajarola said...

Dear Tammy....I didn't know Turkeys would be such elegant flyers......!!!!

Your Mosaic reveals a high sensibility for your natural surrounding......OUTSTANDING Photos;
all my compliments!!!!!!!
.....probably I do repeat myself...but You just have got the talent realizing the most fascinating mosaics!!!!!!!!!!

Have a happy weekend!!!!!!!
ciao ciao elvira

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Frozen waterfalls have always amused me. Your mosaics are just beautiful, thanks for takin' us along.

Ya'll have a fantastically blessed day!!!

Down On The Farm said...

Beautiful post and pictures. Yes, the sunshine was a treat, as more bad weather appears headed our way later today, tonight and tomorrow! Keep those photos comin'! I love them!

Melinda said...

It sure is nice to get outside on a sunny day even if it's cold. the sun has a way of perking things up!

Melinda

Ann On and On... said...

Another collage of beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I didn't know you all had cricks! We only have creeks. Do you have Pop? We only have soda.
I can't wait to get my hands on the barn quilt book! That is awesome that you will be published in there. Congratualtions!
I recieved a beautiful hand made card today . . .Thank you so much!. I love it. I tried to explain the cutting machine you have to BT. I'd love to see it demonstrated.

Kilauea Poetry said...

The cold elements have produced a lovely photo mosaic.. and I can see why it's called Flat Creek Farm! I would of called it a collage but mosaic sounds better! ha.. Congrats on your BQP too!! Hey, I like your turkey in flight..I'm charmed by those guys. Also glad you could get out and enjoy your pretty surroundings! Stay warm..all my best Tammy- (btw)- pretty quote for today as well as the Japanese proverb-

cowgirljlynn said...

What beautiful pictures!

V.L. Locey said...

Ahh nothing like a frozen crick, we have them here ourselves. =)

Nice shot of the wild turkey, they are some beautiful and elusive birds.

Missouri Gal said...

Beautiful! You take wonderful photos! Great shot of the turkey too.
I've yet to get the deer and can't do to my one side kick. However I should get my zoom today! WOO HOO!
Have a great day!

Janet @ My Miniature Donkeys said...

Tammy - I am so excited to have made a connection with a fellow donk owner, let alone in Missouri. Your blog is much more sophisticated. Great photos of the girls, particularly in their party hats. Let's keep in touch.

Cheryl said...

Great photos, wild turkeys, wow! I hope The Fiddler is feeling better.
A number of years back I used to subscribe to Country Woman and one issue was about these barn quilts, I thought what a neat idea. They have to be a certain size don't they, my barn isn't very big but what an idea!
Stay warm...

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

Just beautiful, Tammy!
Congrats on your photo being chosen!! That is awesome. When ths book comes out, you should ask if they want to advertise it on your sidebar.
So sorry to haer The Fiddler has strep.ugh.
We have many wild turkeys,too. I love to watch them and they are so vocal. My dogs are in awe of them!
Stay warm, glad you dodged the snow!
xo, misha

Janean said...

great mosaic and great news about book entry!

Jenny said...

Wow, a blog full of good news! And I live GRIT magazine.

TnTConnect said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures! Love your upbeat blog! :)

Girl Tornado said...

We did a walkabout tonight, around our pond... even when it's cold outside, those are fun to do. Congrats on your barn quilt photo being part of a book, how exciting! And more congrats on a successful coffee bean roast! Woohoo!

Unknown said...

Tammy, I love the frozen waterfall photo..it looks mystical and ethereal, very cool! Congrats on the photo; I'm not surprised, your photography is amazing! I think my mom would absolutely love that book too.

Be well ~Andrea~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin