Friday, June 25, 2010

My Miniature Chickens

The chicks are one month old this week! And they truly have blossomed at this point. I spared them the humiliation of posting those awkward in-between pictures. Well, actually I just didn’t get around to it till now, but… now they really are pretty I think.

Don’t you think they look like miniature chickens at this point? Can you imagine how big they’ll be in another month?

coop_activity

Today I added a ladder (see above) that gives better access to the “upstairs” portion. Not that they really needed a ladder, because they are pretty good at flying now.  But I feel better about it.

Take a look at Roo (“Sappo” – named after my Grandma Winfree’s famous crowing banty rooster).  Can you tell he’s already sporting some rooster attitude?

roo1

As promised, here is a view of Mr. W’s latest creation… the Chicken Tractor, aka Portable Run. Made with PVC pipe & hardware cloth and our ever-popular galvanized tin. He also built them a nice Chicken Tunnel that gives them safe access back and forth to the Coop. (By the way, yes… it’s still sitting on the Barn/Cottage Porch… waiting on me to paint the wheels… <sigh>). The run portion moves pretty easily as it is lightweight. Note there is an “apron” of hardware cloth around the bottom to discourage digging predators. Yes, sometimes those pesky predators can even visit during the day. This Mama Hen is a worrier to say the least (just ask Mr. W).

ChickenRun1

The crowd awaits in the Tunnel…

tunnel1

Today while I built the ladder and a roost, and cleaned the coop, I blocked access to the coop with a board. “Peck, peck, peck” was all I heard as they “knocked” trying to hurry me up. Demanding little birds, they are :)

Here they are… hanging out in the “loft.” At this point, I’m really glad we have the upper area because they’re definitely going to need all the space they can find by the time the Big Coop is complete. I also opened up the Nest Box area a couple of weeks ago… for added space.

upstairs_girls

Cute Little Chicken Notes as of 1 Month Old:

  • Favorite Treats: Yogurt and Quick Oats (they suffered no Pasty Butt.. could this be the reason?)
  • Favorite Pastime: Running up and down the Tunnel. Just about any time during daylight hours you can hear the pitter-patter of little chicken feet going back and forth. So cute!
  • At least half of them seem to enjoy cuddling, or is it just me?
  • Names, so far: Chica (a very gentle and sweet soul from the beginning), Sappo the Roo, Bella, CoCo, Lucy. 

That’s all the Chicken News from FCF for now. I hope to be back in a few days with some Chicken video (after a technical difficulty is attended to). And probably some Ruby and Gracie video as well. My little donkey girls are feeling a little left out since the chicks arrived. I promise they are still getting spoiled a-plenty, as is everyone else around here :)

Have a great weekend!

sig3

29 comments:

Debbie said...

You make is sound like fun! I love the portable run. Good idea. They are getting pretty:)

Cheryl said...

Aw, they are so cute and that is quite a set-up they have lucky chicks. I like the toes heading up the ladder. Great names so far...I wasn't allowed to name ours!
Have a great weekend!

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

OMG!I am in love with them. You have given them a castle for chickies :) I could sit and watch them forever. What do the kitties think of them?

I may have to make a trip to love on Ruby and Gracie. Yes, we need a new video of the girls. Maybe some hat eating?

I have been under the weather with my Fibromyalgia and this hot, steamy weather. I will try to be better at visiting :)
xo, misha

The Urban Cowboy said...

Pretty soon you're going to have a chicken city going on. Really like that portable run.

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hi Tammy, your chickens are really growing and they must be VERY happy chickens living in the fancy living quarters you made for them! That chicken tractor your husband made is a great idea...they certainly don't live a boring life at your house ;-) Happy chickens make lots of eggs and you'll find out in a few months. Mine are now 3 months old but won't lay for approx another 2 months although a few weeks ago I found a small egg in the nesting box! I'm looking forward to seeing your 'big' coop when you're done...the chickens will be in 'chicken heaven' when they move. Enjoy your weekend...and your chickens! Maura :)

Anonymous said...

Those are some spoiled chickens! The run is a great idea for their safety.

Di

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

How fun...I'm always fascinated by farm life...and raising chickens. It sounds like a fun undertaking and all your chickens...so cute and the funny stories you tell :) :) :) I want to hear more about the chicks!!! Oh, one question, what is chicken pasty butt? Maybe I don't want to know!!! It made me laugh though!!! Have a lovely weekend. Love and hugs, Heather :)

Mz-Cellaneous said...

I love your coop.. it's so cute!

Unknown said...

So cute and such fun! I love that photo of Roo and friend. My oldest daughter always calls our middle daughter Chica - love it! And tell Mr. W I think that he'd get along nicely with my Mr. W, who would greatly admire his building skills on that run and tunnel.

Rural Rambler said...

Tammy that first shot with the ladder you made, those little chicken feeties you caught going up the ladder-too funny! Those are some lucky chickens. Flat Creek Farm is a 5 Star Chicken Resort! I think you and Julie at Dog Trot are chicken lovin' sisters! This is going to be FUN!

V.L. Locey said...

They`re looking great!

Diana Ferguson said...

Enjoyed the chick update!!! Have a great weekend.

Farming On Faith said...

Just beautiful chickens. I love your little coop and run.
Thanks for sharing. I so loved this post!

Anonymous said...

Talk about a super cool setup! Love their names, and yes, they are beautiful. Yes, yes, yes, please... I'm so looking forward to the Ruby and Gracie video(s). :) Have a great weekend Tammy!

Barbara said...

Yes I do love the run, and your chickens are so cute, hugs

Melinda said...

Oh so fun for you.
They ARE getting big.


Melinda

Girl Tornado said...

Tammy, love the pics of your chickies, they are quite beautiful. :-) And that portable run is awesome. Isn't it nice to have our handy husbands??!! LOL

They have a great chicken house, and I can just hear their little feet running back and forth as you mention. :)

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come over to my blog and check it out. God's blessings too you. Lloyd

Jenny said...

That run is genius. Get painting girl. It's not like you have tons to do or anything...ha!

It's neat to watch the evolution of the chicken farm...idea to completion.

The idea of their little running feet made me smile!

Elle Bee said...

Wow, they grow fast don't they! They're in the awkward pre-teen years. :o) So very cute and that portable run is fantastic!

Unknown said...

I can picture them running back and forth in my mind, it IS too cute!

They are beautiful creatures, just love them and I can 't believe how fast they grow! What is it with kids and animals, huh?!

Mr W's handiwork is very impressive indeed! The run looks awesome!!

~Andrea~

McVal said...

So impressed! What a great little area you have for them!

Jenna said...

That portable coop is really neat, your hubs is talented. The chicks are so cute, and your right they grow so very fast.

Unknown said...

those chicks have got to love there home. they are probably the envy of other chickens! maybe of real people. looks like a lot of fun!

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Tammy,
I absolutely love the chicken run tractor. Lucy Lou would be so jealous!! Those adorable babies are so lucky!
-Staci

Deanna said...

You make me wish I was a lil' chicken!

Catherine said...

Hi Tammy! i've never seen that before!!! very clever! they are growing too quickly!

Dandy said...

I can't even explain how fascinating I find all of this!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'v reposted but will loose my comments. Sorry!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin